In 1983, Shrewsbury Youth and Family Services (SYFS) was established to serve as the community's ONLY private, non-profit social service agency. SYFS is vital to many in our community. Last year we helped to protect, heal and care for nearly 700 vulnerable children and adults. Still, there are many more struggling, which is why we need your continued help. National research statistics tell us that one in five adolescents will battle mental illness. With suicide as the second leading cause of death between the ages of 10-24, the average delay between the onset of symptoms and treatment is alarmingly ten years. Depression in adults is the leading cause of disability and those with a mood or anxiety disorder are twice as likely to have a substance use disorder. Additionally, 90% of those who complete suicide have an underlying mental illness.
We rely on our partnerships with sponsors to:
- Empower young girls and building confidence with after-school and summer programs, such as You Go Girl! with the opportunity to hear from female role models
- Foster collaborative relationships to address social issues that threaten our community
- Ensure clients have access to affordable, quality counseling, using evidence-based and research-supported practices
- Promote health and well-being through programs such as "Live Your Life Well" for seniors and individuals with disabilities
- Train future therapists, counselors, psychologists and social workers through fostering a holistic strength-based and collaborative approach with colleges and universities
- Ensure that families in need receive assistance in applying for fuel programs to keep warm in winter
- Provide opportunities for high school students to learn and practice leadership skills that will guide them in their future
- Help disadvantaged families find resources through our free supportive services
- Serve as a resource for Shrewsbury town departments, community partners and the students and staff at both the public and private schools
- Provide onsite services to 400+ residents at the Shrewsbury Housing Authority, to improve self-care, increase support and decrease isolation
- Manage an integrated anti-bullying curriculum in youth and parent programs
Click image below to view and download our 2018-2019 Sponsorship Opportunities.
Your sponsorship is critical because it offers relief for struggling children and families -- with an immeasurable lifelong impact. Without your help, these life-changing services would not be possible and many of these children and adults will continue to struggle throughout their lives.
To Learn more on the agency's work and initiatives, including statistics on who we serve and where our money goes, please read our current Annual Report.